1) Although they are usually picked slightly earlier than this, an individual pineapple can take over two years to grow.
2) The top of a pineapple, can be planted in soil and a new plant will grow. Try this at home and see what happens!
3 ) Raw pineapple can be a great source of manganese and vitamin C. Also bromelain is an enzyme that breaks down protein and is present in raw pineapple making the fruit useful as a digestive aid and an effective anti-inflammatory.
4) The same Bromelain enzyme means that you can’t put fresh pineapple in jelly, because it breaks down the gelatine. You can stop this from happening by boiling the chunks of pineapple in their juice or in water for a few minutes, or you can use canned pineapple.
5) Fresh pineapple is low in calories. Nonetheless, it is a storehouse for several unique health promoting compounds, minerals and vitamins that are essential for optimum health.
6) Pineapples have flowers! Yes that’s right the pineapple plant flowers and they vary from a beautiful lavender to a bright red.
7) Pineapples grow under the soil with spikey heads in the air….Very strange to see in real life.
And just as an extra….. Our Pineapple bar is super delicious, made with real pineapple chunks and pineapple juice! You have to try it.